Thursday, September 30, 2010

Criminal Minds - JJ

Network: CBS
Time: Wednesdays, 9:00-10:00pm
Cast: Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore, Paget Brewster, Matthew Gray Gubler, AJ Cook, Kirsten Vangsness

Summary: While JJ attempts to reunite a family whose daughter has mysteriously disappeared, her BAU family braces for the loss of one of their own.

Review: I understand a news reporter is supposed to be objective about the stories she covers, never letting her personal opinion prevent her from telling the facts.  That's why I'm extremely glad I'm a reviewer in this case, not a news reporter.

I haven't been quiet about the fact that I'm upset they wrote JJ out of Criminal Minds, and I know there are many, many other fans who feel the same way.  And while I appreciate that she went out in a dignified, almost wonderful manner, it doesn't change the fact that she's gone, and my enjoyment of Criminal Minds has gone down just a little.  I know I'll get over this eventually because it's just a television show and it doesn't really matter, but right now I'm sad and angry.

Clearly the writers felt this way too.  From start to finish, they couldn't have done a better job of making it obvious that they believe JJ (and consequently AJ Cook) to be irreplaceable.  The fictional reason for her leaving mirrored the real reason in many ways, with her being forced to leave the position she loves because people with more power and authority made her.  Even when Garcia asks who will make the team feel safe with JJ gone, and JJ spits back a sarcastic, "There are plenty of big, strong men around," is a thinly veiled comment on the sexism that many fans feel contributed to the firing of AJ Cook (and Paget Brewster's impending departure next season).  The writers obviously felt it was wrong for Cook to leave, and they channeled those feelings into the script.

These same feelings were apparent in the actors' performances as well.  Probably to appease angry audiences, we were treated to a touching scene between JJ and Hotch; an angry scene between JJ, Emily, Reid, Morgan and Rossi; and an absolutely heartbreaking scene between JJ and Garcia.  All three were perfect in their own way, from Hotch's almost-awkward handshake to Reid's lost little boy voice to the very real tears Garcia cried.  I sniffled when Hotch told her he'd miss her.  My eyes filled up when Reid insisted they couldn't take her away.  And I bawled like a baby when they showed flashbacks from JJ's many episodes over the past five seasons.  I'm not ashamed to admit it; this is probably tied for the most emotional Criminal Minds episode ever (with the final Reaper episode, of course).

It's also unfortunate that this was probably one of AJ Cook's best episodes.  I've always loved her character, but they rarely let her get any good stories.  Not only was she the focus because she was leaving, but they also focused on the part of her job we don't see as much, where she deals with grieving families and somehow gets them to help solve the case.  It was wonderful to see her getting so much screen time, even if I didn't like all the reasons.

The sad thing is, I could really have liked this episode.  Watching Morgan, Rossi, Emily and Reid take turns trying to crack the two suspects while JJ tried to handle a family about to break was good.  It wouldn't have been the most action-packed episode, but it was uplifting in its own way.  If the last ten minutes had never happened, I would really have enjoyed it.

I still don't know why someone thought it was a good idea to get rid of an actress who is not only clearly beloved, but important to the show, but I would certainly love to be able to go back in time and stop them from making that move.  As is, I'll have to make due with hoping the backlash from this will be bad enough that they'll call and offer Cook her job back.  And that she'll accept.  For now, I give this episode 4 out of 5 stars because the acting and writing were wonderful, but I just can't see the episode where JJ leaves as excellent.

What did you think?  Are you as upset as I am?  Sound off below.

For more reviews (not just crime TV ones), check out One DV Rebel's Guide to TV and Film.

For more crime TV news, follow NewarkCrimeTV on Twitter.

Feelings you don't want to share with the class?  Questions?  Concerns?  Email me at NewarkCrimeTV@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment