Sunday, October 2, 2011

New Girl - Kryptonite

Network: Fox
Time: Tuesdays, 9:00-9:30pm
Cast: Zooey Deschanel, Max Greenfield, Jake M. Johnson, Lamorne Morris

Summary (from imdb.com): Nick and Schmidt convince Jess to get her stuff out of her ex-boyfriend Spencer's apartment; Jess meets new roommate Winston.

Review: I have to admit, I wasn't overly won over by the premiere episode of New Girl. My love for Zooey Deschanel was tempered by too many awkward moments, her overly annoying quirks, and minimal redeeming characteristics for the guys. But there were a handful of good moments that made me believe this show had potential. Enough so that I was willing to give it a few more episodes before passing any judgment. And I'm glad I did.

The second episode was much more cohesive and much less... annoying than the first. Sure, Jess's quirks are still there, but audiences were treated to the much more human side of her. At her core, she's a heartbroken girl who thought she'd found the love of her life, only to find out he was cheating on her. While the first episode illustrated this by having her sob hysterically while watching Dirty Dancing, the second episode dealt with the much more realistic side of a breakup. After accidentally throwing a basketball into the guys' TV, Jess had to get her stuff back from her ex-boyfriend Spencer. The sincerity in her desire to avoid the issue forever didn't seem overdramatic the way the first episode's crying jags were, but the much more honest response that people have when confronted with uncomfortable situations, which, as a viewer, I appreciated more

I also love the friendship that's forming between Nick and Jess. I was worried they were going to dive too quickly into the will-they-won't-they, but they seem to have fallen into an ordinary friendship, without those awkward romantic moments. Watching them gang up on Schmidt in the beginning was honestly funny and seemed like a very natural exchange. If that relationship continues to develop this way, I think I'll really enjoy it.

That's not to say this show isn't still without its issues. While I like the new roommate Winston, I wasn't crazy about the B story to this episode. Maybe it's because I find Schmidt to be completely unlikable. There's a point where douchebag-ness is tolerable, but I think Schmidt crosses the line a little too often. It's not that he comes across completely as a jerk, but he's so obnoxious at times that I have no desire to listen to him. There needs to be more of a balance between that side of him and the side that explains why someone would want to be friends with him.

I'm looking forward to a time, ironically, when Jess isn't so much the New Girl and has ingrained herself more with the guys. That was starting to show in this episode, especially when they went with her to get her stuff back from Spencer (the goofy headwear really made that scene... or maybe it was Schmidt slapping Spencer while wearing a thumb ring). That scene made the episode for me, and I hope that future episodes have a lot more of whatever it was that made that really great.

Rating: 3/5

Favorite line:
Jess: No! I can't call Spencer I haven't talked to him since he cheated on me with that ho! Actually, that's not fair. She might be a really nice ho.

Email me at NewarkCrimeTV@gmail.com or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment