Friday, December 10, 2010

Big Bang Theory - The Alien Parasite Hypothesis

Network: CBS
Time: Thursdays, 8:00-8:30pm
Cast: Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar

Summary: Amy finds she has sexual feelings for Penny's ex, while Koothrappali and Wolowitz try to prove who would be the better superhero. (from imdb.com)

 Review: As with much this season, I liked exactly half of this episode of Big Bang Theory.


I’ll start with the good. I know there are a lot of critics who dislike Amy but I loved her in this episode, and I think it did a lot to separate her from being “a female Sheldon.” To begin, I think the odd little friendship that’s forming between Amy, Penny and Bernadette is wonderful. Bernadette seems to genuinely like Amy, and Penny is easy-going enough to roll with it. The scene in the restaurant had a comfortable feel to it, like they actually were three friends going out to eat (a significant change from the slumber party which felt like two women forced to hang out with a friend’s weird girlfriend). The change was that Penny and Bernadette didn’t make a big deal out of Amy’s quirks in this episode; they accepted them like they’d accepted her.

It also makes me happy that they’re able to add a female component to Big Bang without changing the concept of the show. At its core, Big Bang is about geeks who hang out together. Penny has always been the exception to that rule. I was worried that a friendship ring that centered around her would lose the geek aspect (since she is not), but Bernadette and Amy are as nerdy as the guys, which is what makes this new thread work. It also takes some of the focus off the guys, whose stories have gotten a little stale this season.

Now that I’ve spent more time talking about the Big Bang women than they actually spent together in the episode, we come to the main story: Amy has needs (cue laugh track from any latent That 70s Show fans). Turns out, she’s not an automaton, which is a concept that troubles Sheldon so much that he almost walks out of Amy’s lab with the human brain she’s dissecting instead of his lunch (and can I just say ew?).

It was nice to see the writers finally making a distinction between Amy and Sheldon, more than just the gender thing. Yes, they’re still freakily similar, from the science brains to the general distaste for being touched to their complete inability to spot sarcasm. But just as we’ve occasionally seen Sheldon’s human side show (usually when his mother’s involved), we’re now getting a glimpse of Amy’s.

Also, I loved the modified version of “Who’s on First?”

Will this open the door for more touching in the future? Sheldon didn’t pull away when Amy held his hand at the end. I haven’t decided which side I’m on yet—the “Sheldon only loves science” team or the “Sheldon and Amy should do it” team—but I’m curious to see how this story moves along. My only request is that they take their time with it. Instead of forcing their relationship down our throats, insert Amy into the everyday activities, like they did with Penny at the beginning. Now that Amy’s starting to exhibit some unique characteristics, she can bring a different perspective to the group.

And now we’re going to move away from happy land and enter the most painful plotline to date. Howard and Raj were arguing about which one of them would be a superhero and which would be the sidekick. I liked absolutely nothing about this. First of all, I wanted to shake both of them and say, “You’re both sidekicks in this show.” Second of all, this felt more like a bit that would occur at the beginning or end of an episode, or be a running gag throughout, not the supporting plot. It sounded like something they’d snipe and tease each other about in between things that were important. Howard and Raj have always been silly, but this was ridiculous.

I didn’t even find the sight gags very funny. I know many people thought they were hysterical in the wrestling outfits at the end, but it did nothing for me. And I actually would have preferred if they’d actually fought, instead of just dancing around each other, wasting their time and mine. The only thing that evoked even a slight smile was the spider crawling up Howard’s arm, and him trying to blow it off his back.

My biggest problem, however, was the complete waste of Johnny Galecki in this episode. I know a lot of the previous seasons have centered around Leonard (and his relationship with Penny), but he’s done nothing but whine or look depressed in weeks. It might be time for Sheldon to step back and let Leonard have some of the spotlight again. The show is best when it’s balanced.

What did you think? Did the Raj/Howard superhero challenge work for you? Are you warming to Shamy? Leave a comment and let me know.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I want Shamy to get it on and then Sheldon attempt to be a normal person, only to 'snap out of it' and fall back into the super-genius character. I totally agree with Leonard's character, he needs a new girlfriend or something. Most of his plot lines were focused on Penny, now they need a new storyline for him. As for the super hero problem, I felt it was much too small of a plot to be considered supporting or alternative to Sheldon and Amy's problem, I definitely agree with you there. It should have been a small problem around something else those characters were doing.

    ReplyDelete