Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bones - The Doctor in the Photo

Network: Fox
Time: Thursdays, 8:00-9:00pm
Cast: Emily Deschanel, David Boreanaz, TJ Thyne, Michaela Conlin, Tamara Taylor, John Francis Daley

Summary: When the body of a surgeon is found in a tough neighborhood with multiple skull fractures, Brennan is disturbed by how much she has in common with the victim, but her perspective may be just what the team needs to solve the case.

Review: Sorry this review is so late this week; I’ve been having some computer problems that make it impossible to watch anything with sound on my laptop, which means I spent the weekend trying to bully it into submission (it didn’t work).

So this was a very Brennan-centric episode of Bones, and one that finally called into question the entire philosophy by which she lives her life. For those who didn’t see the episode but are still reading this review for some reason, the team investigates the death of a prominent neurosurgeon with whom Brennan over-identifies. It forces her to reexamine her life.

First, I have to say that, while this may not have been Emily Deschanel’s best ever episode (I personally think that goes to the episode where she testifies against the Gravedigger), she definitely nailed it. Brennan’s been bottling everything up all season (well, really her entire life, but especially since she got back to the States this season), and it all have to come out eventually. I thought Deschanel did a good job showing a range of emotions that Brennan doesn’t normally display, namely fear and regret, in a way that was still believable for the character.

The case was the best kind of letdown. Stop here if you don’t want any spoilers. I said in a previous review that Bones (and many other crime shows) tries so hard sometimes to surprise the viewer by making the killer the least obvious person that it’s actually incredibly predictable. This episode was nothing like that. The fact that her death turned out to be essentially an accident was actually a bigger twist than any murder could have been.

Then, of course, there was Brennan’s revelation that letting Booth go was her biggest regret. Having seen the promo for this episode, I was anticipating this moment with trepidation, and I hated it just as much as I expected to. The whole thing just felt… awkward. I should state that I’ve never been a Booth/Brennan shipper, and I don’t see that changing unless one of them does a serious personality makeover. I think they (usually) have the best chemistry of almost any on-screen duo (Castle and Beckett might be the exception), but I don’t think it translates into romance. I know that I’m in the minority with this opinion, and I’ve almost accepted the fact that they’ll wind up together in the end, but this scene didn’t warm me to it. If anything, I’m hoping both of them can get some closure now and work on salvaging their friendship. Go off and be with other people. I know fans will say that they’ve already done that and it’s time for them to be together, but the opportunity was missed. If they’re really going to get together, another opportunity has to present itself, and I don’t believe that can happen until both of them have moved past this failed attempt.

So that’s it in a nutshell. There were a few more smaller things I enjoyed: the dinner Brennan threw in the beginning for Booth, Hannah, Angela and Hodgins; Brennan’s comforter; pretty much every scene with Sweets in it; how genuinely nice Brennan was to Micah (was I the only one who thought he might just be in her head?). In all, I think this was one of the better episodes this season, and I’m looking forward to seeing the consequences it will have.

For more crime TV news, follow NewarkCrimeTV on Twitter.

Email me at NewarkCrimeTV@gmail.com.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment