Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Castle - Nikki Heat

Network: ABC
Time: Mondays, 10:00-11:00pm
Cast: Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic, Seamus Dever, Jon Huertas, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Susan Sullivan, Molly C. Quinn

Summary: Beckett and Castle tackle an upscale matchmaker's murder case, and they have company: the actress cast as Nikki Heat, who wants a deeper grasp of her character.  Her copycat image soon becomes too much for Beckett, but Castle likes it. (from tvguide.com)

Review: Just when I think I can't possibly enjoy Castle anymore than I already do, something like this happens.

Maybe it's because it was the first episode after a too-long break or because Laura Prepon was guest starring, but everything about this episode seemed to click.  Castle and Beckett's banter was seamless and exceptional, and the addition of a new character didn't put a damper on it.  If anything, Prepon only added to the chemistry.  She really showed her acting ability in this episode.  She did Beckett almost as well as Stana Katic does, but with a hilarious, sometimes creepy edge to it.  She toed the line between ditzy Hollywood starlet and serious method actor well, adding just enough insightfulness to avoid being labeled an idiot.  And she played so well off Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic that I could have sworn she'd been acting with them for years.

Prepon's oft-creepy imitations allowed for some great moments between Castle and Beckett as well.  I've said before that Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are both wonderful physical actors, and it really showed in this episode.  The wide array of facial expressions that both actors demonstrated were spot-on for whatever situation they were in, from Castle's wounded pride look to Beckett's half-terrified, half-bewildered expression when Natalie Rhodes steals her coffee.  There was never a moment where I felt they were over-the-top or off in any way, and I laughed harder at those moments than almost anything else in the episode.

But as much as I found myself laughing, "Nikki Heat" also brought me to tears.  I'm not too proud to admit I cried a bit at the end, like any sappy, over-emotional girl would.  This is the first episode that Ryan has had his own story (aside from a few minutes where they first introduced his girlfriend), and even though it was just used as filler for the main arc, it was still wonderful to see Seamus Dever getting some love.  Ryan is one of my favorite supporting characters, and I loved every minute he was on the screen.

If I had any negatives, there were two small things.  The first is that there wasn't nearly enough of Grams and Alexis.  I'm not really sure where they would have fit in this episode, but I always love their scenes, so I was a little disappointed that they just had one in the beginning.

The second thing is that I had very little emotional investment in the case.  For me, it was just a reason for all these characters to be interacting.  It took half the episode for me to remember the victim's name was Stacey.  I didn't even try to guess the killer because I wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on to know which character was which.  That being said, I don't feel I lost anything by not following it.  This was still, without a doubt, one of my favorite Castle episodes of all time.  With February sweeps lurking just around the corner (alright, they're four weeks away), I can't wait to see what future episodes will hold.


For more crime TV news, follow NewarkCrimeTV on Twitter.

Email me at NewarkCrimeTV@gmail.com

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment