Thursday, September 22, 2011

Criminal Minds - It Takes a Village

Network: CBS
Time: Wednesdays, 9:00-10:00pm
Cast: Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Paget Brewster, Matthew Gray Gubler, Shemar Moore, Kirsten Vangness, AJ Cook

Summary: In the seventh-season opener, the team's actions in the aftermath of the loss of Prentiss are questioned by a Senate committee, and a familiar person unexpectedly appears to rally them.

Review: So far, I've felt the premieres were only mediocre this season. Apparently this is the one I was waiting for.

This episode jumped back and forth in time. In the present day, the team was on trial (well, on hearing) for actions taken over the last few months, actions that ultimately brought down Ian Doyle, the man responsible for Emily Prentiss's "death." In the flashbacks, we got to see what the team has been up to since we last left our heroes in May. Apparently Hotch has been in Pakistan, but the rest of the team, led by Morgan and aided by Garcia, were hard at work on Doyle's trail. Morgan had made it his mission to get the guy who hurt one of theirs. He followed Doyle's son Declan around until Doyle caught up with them. When he and the team caught Doyle, they found out Declan had been snatched too. Which is when Hotch called Prentiss to return so they could find out who took the boy and save his life.

There was almost nothing I didn't like about this episode. I spontaneously burst into tears three times (once when Emily first walked in, once when she was apologizing to Morgan, and once when she was reciting the FBI oath at the end). I sat on the edge of my seat waiting to see if Doyle was going to get away, or if they were going to save Declan (because Criminal Minds is so not above killing kids if it suits their needs). I sympathized with Morgan's anger and felt like both Prentiss and Reid needed hugs through most of the episode.

In short, this episode had what almost every episode was lacking in season 6: watchability. I had a desire to keep the TV on, a desire to get through commercials as fast as possible to get back to the action.

It also had the full team back.

And maybe I was just so happy to see AJ Cook and Paget Brewster back (and to see them finally using AJ Cook) that I'm glossing over problems with the episode. There were some. I would have liked to see more of the team's reactions besides Morgan's, particularly Reid's, since he and Prentiss were so close by the end of season 6. The episode also felt a little rushed, probably because they crammed so much into one hour in their desire to wrap up this story. They went from finding out that Declan was alive to catching Doyle in the blink of an eye, and I honestly felt that if both Morgan and Doyle could find the kid in less than a month, maybe Prentiss didn't do such a great job hiding him.

But these problems were small in the grand scheme of the premiere. The team is back together, and that seems to have been the missing piece. Season 6 wasn't exactly bad, but not one of those episodes held my attention the way this one did. I was hooked right from the beginning, and I wasn't disappointed by how it all played out. I can't wait to see where the season is going to go.

For more crime TV news, follow NewarkCrimeTV on Twitter.

Email me at NewarkCrimeTV@gmail.com.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment