Thursday, September 22, 2011

Glee - The Purple Piano Project

Network: Fox
Time: Tuesdays, 8:00-9:00pm
Cast: Matthew Morrison, Jane Lynch, Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Chris Colfer, Amber Riley, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, Mark Salling, Dianna Agron, Heather Morris, Naya Rivera, Harry Shum Jr., Darren Criss, Jayma Mays

Summary: Its fall and that means back to school for the students and faculty at McKinley High. The New Directions clan returns after a devastating loss at Nationals, so Mr. Schuester assigns a project to get them back on track. Meanwhile, Sue Sylvester starts her congressional campaign.

Review: Oh, Glee.

I don't understand how a show can be so simultaneously frustrating and wonderful. There were moments in this episode that reminded me of every reason I began watching. And there were moments where I just shook my head at the disaster.

Let's do a pro-con list for this one. Pro: The music. I feel like Glee tried to be so poppy last season that the music began to suffer (Justin Bieber? Come on...). This episode went back to its roots: Broadway and classic pop/rock. There were songs from the Wiz, Anything Goes, Hairspray, Tom Jones and the Go-Go's. Don't get me wrong, I like when they do (some of) the modern stuff too, but this is the stuff that made me first fall in love with this show. Also, unlike in other episodes, I felt like all the songs worked in this episode. They were well-sung, well-choreographed (come on, tell me Rachel and Kurt's broom dance didn't make you smile just a little), and well-produced.

Con: Quinn. Ugh, girl, get it together. While I dig the smoke-raspy voice (which I'm sure won't make her singing voice anymore interesting) and the pink hair, I'm not feeling the Quinn-as-a-bad-girl vibe. She's just too... vanilla. For a girl who got pregnant with the guy she cheated on her boyfriend with, then cheated on a new boyfriend with the old one, she really can't pull off "bad girl" that well (I reread that sentence three times to make sure it was right. This show is a soap opera). I appreciate the direction they're trying to go--and I like focusing on something that isn't the Glee club (ironic) or the Cheerios--but Dianna Agron isn't a strong enough actress to own this story.

And sending Rachel to appeal to her was just silly. "We were friends once." Really? Was this just before she stole Finn from you, or when you stole him back from her?

Pro: Kurt and Rachel. Honestly, if they do make a spin-off where they move to New York and start musical theatre careers, I'm there. I love their new best buddy relationship, I love their voices when they sing together, and I love how they can be totally cheesy when they're supporting each other and it doesn't make me want to punch either of them. The combined scenes where they sang "Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead!," went to the NYADA mixer, and cried in the car were my favorite parts of this episode. (Side note: I only watched a couple episodes of The Glee Project, so I didn't realize until these scenes that Lindsay Pearce had such an amazing voice.) I like that Rachel has at least one relationship where she's not competing. Even with Finn (who had blissfully little focus this episode), she seems to always be competing against something for his attention. With Kurt, the relationship seems easy. They can both be talented and driven, but not be at odds with each other (anymore). However, Emma did stress how difficult it is to get into NYADA, so I hope they don't go back to making them competitors.

Con: Sue. Sue went from "that's ridiculous" in season 1 to "I can't believe I'm still watching this" in season 3. Running for Congress on the platform of cutting the arts makes for a funny storyline, but watching Sue destroy the purple piano was almost painful to watch (especially because poor Tina never gets to finish a song). At some point you start to wonder how she's never been arrested for the way she abuses those kids. The only redeeming point of this story was that she made Becky a co-captain, which means we'll get to see more of Lauren Potter this season.

Pro, with a side of con: Kurt and Blaine. While I'm happy their relationship is flourishing (and should continue to do so, now that Blaine is a full-fledged New Direction), they're a little too sappy for me. That being said, I guess they get a few episodes, since I'm sure an openly gay couple at McKinley isn't going to see sunshine and roses for long. Plus, I'd rather see them together than not. (Side note: Emma handing Rachel the Hag brochure was comedy gold.)

Con, with a side of pro: Mercedes and Marcus. First of all, woah, that is one big dude. Secondly, I need a little more convincing on this relationship. I'll admit, I was a bit of a Samcedes shipper, but I am glad Mercedes has a man. However, they've been dating for... what, two to three months? And he's talking babies? At seventeen? Give me a break.

Pro, with a side of con: Wemma. I love the idea of Will and Emma as a couple, I really do (OK, I'm secretly a Sue/Will (Swill?) shipper, but that's not realistic just yet). She's better for him than pretty much anybody else on the show, he's patient with her (his breakdown in Figgins' office was fun), and they're all-around adorable. Or maybe a little Stepford. They make each other's lunches. And were those matching superhero lunchboxes? It's just a little creepy is all I'm saying.

Con, with a side of...con: Sugar. Yes, because if there's a group of people Glee still hasn't made fun of that they really should have, it was people with Asperger's. Not only didn't I see any comedy in this story, but I found it downright offensive (and in the world of Glee, it was really hard to find something more offensive than usual). Yes, she was a spoiled rich kid who was a really bad singer (though the "trying not to be smug" look on Rachel's face when she realized that made me laugh). Who cares? She was as annoying as Rachel without any of the (few) redeeming qualities.

All things considered, this episode was better than many of last season's, but it has the potential to head downhill. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised as the season continues on.

Rating: 4/5

Favorite line:
Kurt [about the YouTube video of Finn kissing Rachel at Nationals]: The comment section is just full of pithy banter, like “Why is that T-Rex eating the Jew?”

No comments:

Post a Comment